T he Colonial Funeral Home of Leesburg was started in 1877 by Charles T. Birkby and Lloyd Slack at the corner of Wirt and Loudoun Streets, at what is now the Loudoun Museum. Mr. Birkby died on December 31, 1908. Mr. Slack purchased his partner's share of the business, operating it until 1925, doing furniture repair and making coffns.
Mr. Slack moved the business to South King Street, next door to the Caviness and Whitmore Store on the corner of King and Loudoun Streets. Mr. Slack transferred or sold the business to his son, Lloyd F. Slack, Jr. in 1925. The business was operated at this location until 1934, at which time Mr. Slack purchased the stone house on Loudoun Street, known as Worsely House. The furniture business remained on King Street and the Colonial Funeral Home was moved to Loudoun Street.
C. Stanley Reed began working for Lloyd Slack in 1934 and J. Lawrence Muse was employed in 1937. In 1952-53, Mr. Slack sold both the furniture and funeral businesses to Lawrence Muse and Staney Reed, forming the Muse and Reed Corporation. Muse and Reed operated both busineses at the King and Loudoun locations until 1960, when they built a new furniture store on Market Street and remodeled the Robinson house, adding a chapel, at the present location on Edwards Ferry Road.
In 1982 the funeral home was sold to Georgia W. Bange, Georgia's brother Don White, and Gary Totman. The name of Colonial Funeral Home of Leesburg was restored at the suggestion of Lawrence Muse. The original brass plaque from the old Colonial Funeral Home is currently dislayed inside the entrance foyer of the Colonial Funeral Home of Leesburg.
In 1995, Richard Hill, former manager of the old Drug Fair in Leesburg, became part of the business as Supervisor of Operations.
In 1996, Georgia's brother, Don White, sold his interest in the Funeral Home to James E. Clem and his wife, Connie, who were retiring from Federal employment.
In 1997, the Colonial Funeral Home of Leesburg celebrated 120 years of continuous service to the Loudoun County community.
In 2003, Gary Totman passed away and his shares of the business were bought by the Corporation. The partnership of James Clem and Georgia Bange continued until Georgia's death in 2009.
In July 2003, Greg Walley was hired as General Manager.
Currently the owners of Colonial Funeral Home of Leesburg are James Clem and Greg Walley.